Department of Public Safety (DPS) Road Test (a.k.a Third Party Skills Testing)
DPS Road Test| $65
1. Pioneer isn't the DPS, a state agency, or a government entity. Pioneer isn't endorsed by the DPS. We do not have access to the DPS database or your driving record.
2. Walk-in fee is $80 cash. Credit card, debit card, and personal check are not accepted when you walk-in. If you did not register and schedule a road test, then it's a walk-in.
3. If you're late, no-show, or failed to bring a copy of all of the required documents, you will not be allowed to take the test. Your actions will result in an automatic cancellation of your road test and forfeiture of your $65 fee. Please value our time that we have set aside for your road test.
4. Restriction "F" is printed on the front of the teen's Texas Learner's License (permit).
- Restriction "F" states that all applicants under 18 years of age must hold their permit for 6 months prior to taking the DPS road test
- The 6 month expiration date is printed on the back of the permit
- Teenagers must also be 16 years of age to take the road test
- Don't schedule a road test until after you have held the permit for 6 months and you're 16 years of age or older
- Failure to follow this requirement will result in a forfeiture of your $65 on test day.
5. Pioneer will not print out your required documents from your cell phone. Don't ask!
6. All applicants must watch the age-appropriate IMPACT Texas Driver Video prior to taking the DPS road test. Print the course completion certificate and bring certificate to Pioneer.
7. Take the test in your own vehicle, no charge! Your vehicle must meet the DPS' vehicle requirements:
8. There's an additional $25 charge to use Pioneer's vehicle to take the road test. Pay the cash fee on the day of your test.
9. When paying with cash, the test administrator will assist you with scheduling your road test.
- After registering, call Pioneer test administrator at 972-637-3131.
- There's an additional $10 administration fee for the test administrator to schedule your road test time over the phone when paying with cash.
10. After you pass the test, you will be given a sealed envelope to take to the DPS to obtain your driver's license. Don't open the envelope. The DPS will not accept an open envelope.
- Pioneer is not in any way responsible for the lost envelope or liable if the paperwork has expired because the envelope was not taken to the DPS office in a timely manner.
11. If you fail the road test, you can retest in the next available time slot.
- You must retest at DPS office after a third failed road test at Pioneer.
- All retest are the same price as the prior test.
12. To view the road test calendar
- Complete the registration
- Logout and back into website using the username and password you created during registration
- Click "Schedule DPS RT Period" to view the calendar
- Choose your road test time
- After paying the $65 road test fee, your slot is secured
- No refund is given after you have viewed the calendar, selected your road test time slot, and paid for a time slot.
- If you choose to select a different test time, your selection must be done 24 hours prior to the scheduled date and time
- Failure to cancel 24 hours prior will result in a forfeiture of your $65
- If your decide not to take the test at Pioneer after viewing the calendar, please delete your registration now, thanks.