Pioneer Drivers Education Classroom Instruction Pioneer Drivers Education Behind the Wheel Instruction Pioneer Drivers Education Classes for Teenagers

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ)


General Information

How do I get inline, on-line at the DPS website to take my permit test instead of sitting and waiting on my number to be called at the DPS?

How do I get my learner's license?

  • In order for a student to obtain a Learner's License, student must take the following items to the DPS: 
  1. Student's birth certificate (original or certified copy only), US passport, or Resident Alien Card    
  2. Social Security Card - Original  
  3. Verification of Enrollment (VOE) and Attendance Form (get from your high school)  
  4. Parent's proof of Texas residency (2 documents)  
  5. Parent's proof of relationship to student 
  6. DE-964 Form (get from the driving school)

How do I schedule my DPS road test at Pioneer?

When do I schedule my road test for my license?

  • Applicant must be 16 years old.
  • The first available road test date is located on the back of the permit.
  • Pioneer is authorized by the DPS to give the Road Test. 
  • Don't wait months for an appointment to take your road test at the DPS when you can take it today or tomorrow at Pioneer for a small fee.

Is there an expiration date on the ITTD certificate?

  • The ITTD certification does not display an expiration date; however, the ITTD certificate is only valid for 90 days. 
  • If the applicant does not pass the driving skills examination within 90 days of the date on the certificate, they must review the video a second time.

When am I required to view the Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD)?

  • Within 90 days of the road test.
  • Applicants ages 18-and older are also required to complete the ITYD.

I already have a learn's permit, do I still have to complete BTW driving with a driving school?

  • Yes, as of May 01, 2010, Texas law requires all teens to complete BTW training with a license instructor to obtain a driver's license.
  • Teens that completed the Parent Taught Class, must complete their in-car driving lessons with their parent. 
  • Driving school are not allowed to drive teens that took the Parent Taught Course. 

Can I drive out of state with my learner's license?

  • This is one of the most frequently asked questions by new drivers. It's also hard to answer. Texas will allow you to drive in another state with a learner's permit, but because policies do change, it is best to contact the DMV or DPS in the states you are planning to visit.
  • The following states ban permitted drivers: Arizona, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, and the District of Columbia.

Where is my learner’s license?

  • The temporary Learner's License is valid for 30 days. 
  • If you have not received your Learner's License in the mail by the 3rd week, you can track it by visiting the TX DPS website. 
  • If you drive with an expired paper permit, you can receive a citation for an invalid license.

Parents must prove relationship with student?

  • Beginning April 2, 2012 Parents must prove their relationship to the student before student will be issued a permit or license.
  • Acceptable documentation includes, but are not limited to: marriage license, birth certificate, military dependent ID card, or adoption records

Must parent prove Texas residency?

  • Beginning April 2, 2012 parents and students must provide 2 documents proving they are Texas residents before the teen is eligible to obtain a permit or license. Parents must also sign a Texas Residency Affidavit at the DPS office.
  • Acceptable documents for parents (2 are needed): Texas voter's registration card, Texas auto registration or title, auto insurance policy or statement, homeowner's insurance policy, or utility or cable bill not more than 90 days old.
  • Note: The name on the bills/statements must be the name of the parent accompanying the student to the DPS.

What forms of payments are accepted?

  • Cash, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express), money order,  or cashier check
  • All payments must be made in full prior to the start of class.

What’s the policy to make-up class?

  • A full hour of absence is charged to the student when he/she does not attend the full 55 minutes of instruction during a 60-minutes period. Accorging to state law, if a student is absent in excess of 10 hours, the student will be terminated from the class. Each missed class must be made-up. 
  • Example: If a student miss day 6, he can make up day 6 in the next class. You have 240 days from the date you started class to complete all makeup work. If you do not complete the makeup work, TDLR requires cancellation of the student's permit.
  • Student will be added to the next available class, with seats permitted.

What’s the Provisional Driver’s License?

  • All original licenses other than an instruction permit issued to persons under 18 years of age will be marked "Provisional." The license will be vertical and will be dated to expire on the applicant's next birthday occurring after the date of issuance.
  • A fee is required to obtain this license. The renewal fee is required for each one year of renewal period. No renewal notice will be sent as it is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain a verification of enrollment and attendance from their school.
  • If the instruction permit or the driver's license is not due for renewal, a fee is required for a duplicate instruction permit or duplicate license requested in the case of a lost license, change of address, or removal of GDL restriction.

What is a graduated license?

  • The Texas Graduated Driver License (GDL) was implemented as a result of Senate Bill 577. This law changed original licensing requirements for persons under the age of 18. GDL creates two phases of driving requirements for minors. The effective date of this change in the law is January 1, 2002. Basic requirements for obtaining a license have not changed.

Phase One:

  • Applicants under the age of 18 must hold an instructional permit (learner's permit) for a minimum of six months prior to receiving a provisional Class A, B, or C driver's license. In addition, the minimum age of the person who must accompany any instruction permit holder while driving is 21 years of age.
  • Once the student has held a valid instruction permit or hardship license for a minimum of 6 months, has reached the age of 16, and has completed both the classroom and driving portions of driver's education, they are eligible to graduate to Phase Two.

 Phase Two:

  • Phase Two restricts the driving privileges of teens under the age of 18 for 6 months after receiving their Class C driver's license (your real Provisional Drivers License)! These teens may not operate a vehicle with more than one passenger in the car under the age of 21 who is not a family member.
  • In addition, they may not drive between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. unless it is necessary for the teen to attend or participate in employment or a school-related activity or because of a medical emergency.
  • During the first 12 months of having their Provisional License, the driver may NOT use a cell phone in any way, dialing, talking, or texting.
  • The license restriction will state: TRC 545 424 applies until mm/dd/yy. This date indicates when the second phase of the graduated driver's license will expire for that individual. Upon completion of the 6 month period, the above time and/or passenger restriction no longer apply.
  • The licensee may apply for a duplicate license at a DPS office to remove this restriction. A fee is required to obtain a duplicate license. If not, the restriction will be removed at the time the applicant renews the license on their next birthday, provided the Phase Two 6 month time has lapsed.
  • There are 46 states and the District of Columbia which have some form of a graduated driver's license system. Studies have proven that students become better and safer drivers when they learn to drive with few distractions.

Classroom Instruction

What’s the grading policy?

  • Progress standards must meet the requirements of the current rules adopted by the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation (TDLR). 
  • Mastery is a prerequisite to awarding a grade of 70 or above. 
  • Evidence of mastery shall be determined by one or more of the following methods: 1) unit tests; 2) written assignments; 3) skills performance checklist; and 4) comprehensive examinations of knowledge and skills

What should I bring to class every day?

  • Pen and paper.

What are the classrooms like?

  • Our classroom is designed to give the student a fun and relaxing environment. 
  • State of the art equipment ensures that they receive up-to-date training.

BTW Instruction

What’s the policy to cancel drive time?

  • If you need to change or cancel a drive time, you must sign into your web site account. 
  • Drive time must be cancelled 24 hours in advance.