Department of Public Safety (DPS) Road Test (a.k.a Third Party Skills Testing)
DPS Road Test| $65
1. Pioneer isn't the DPS, a state agency, or a government entity. Pioneer isn't endorsed by the DPS. We do not have access to the DPS database or your driving record.
2. The paperwork and road test will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Applicants are paying for a 30 minutes time slot to take the road test at Pioneer.
3. There is a $65 administration fee if you are late, no show, or fail to cancel your appointment 24 hours prior to your chosen test time. No excuses, no refunds!
4. You must bring a printed copy of all required documents to take the road test.
- Failure to bring all of the required documents will result in a $65 administration charge.
- You can not take the test if you failed to bring all required documents.
- Pioneer will not print out your documents from your cell phone.
- Click here to view a list of all required documentation.
5. After you pass the test, you will be given a sealed envelope to take to the DPS to obtain your driver's license. Don't open the envelope. The DPS will not accept an open envelope.
- Pioneer is not in any way responsible for the lost envelope or liable if the paperwork has expired because the envelope was not taken to the DPS office in a timely manner.
6. If you fail the road test, you can retest in the next available time slot.
- You must retest at DPS office after a third failed road test at Pioneer.
7. Walk-in fee is $80 cash. Credit card, debit card, and personal check are not accepted when you walk-in. If you did not register and schedule a road test, then it's a walk-in.
8. There's an additional $25 charge to use Pioneer's vehicle to take the road test. Pay the cash fee on the day of the test.
9. Take the test in your own vehicle, no charge! Your vehicle must meet the DPS' requirements.
10. Prior to taking the DPS road test, you must watch the age-appropriate IMPACT Texas Driver Video. Print out the course completion certificate and bring certificate to Pioneer.
11. When paying with cash, applicant can not see the available time slots on our calendar.
- There's an additional $10 administration fee for the test administrator to schedule your road test time when paying in cash. There isn't a additional fee when paying with credit card.
- After registering, call Pioneer test administrator at 972-637-3131.
- The test administrator will assist you with scheduling your road test.
12. When paying online with a credit card, applicants can see the available time slots on our calendar. Applicant can schedule their road test on the calendar.
- After completing the registration and paying the registration fee, logout and back into website using your username and password.
- Click "Schedule DPS RT Period" to view the calendar.
- Choose your test time.
- Yes, a refund is available if we don't have an open test slot avalible with 2 week of paying your registration fee.